- Degree: Master of Business Administration – MBA (Awarded by Staffordshire University)
- Duration: 22 months (Part-time)
- Intake: October
Managers and leaders must possess the required competencies or the ability to apply their skillset together with an understanding of contemporary business issues and risks to succeed. Designed to offer those either in or embarking on careers in management or leadership the opportunity to succeed, the MBA aims for you to develop five key management and leadership competencies including strategic agility, organisational agility, customer focus, drive for results, and career ambition.
The order of modules is subject to change depending on circumstance.
Performing in Organisations
This module explores developing organisational agility, by being able to enhance personal performance and well-being along with the performance and well-being of others. A range of concepts will be covered, including how to understand, manage, and respond positively to stress.
Financial Concepts and Practice
In this module you will understand and apply ratio and trend analysis linked to the evaluation of investment opportunities and risk analysis. You will participate in investigating and researching current areas of development within accounting concepts and practice, dealing with large and small businesses.
Managing People & Organisations
This module will explore traditional and contemporary approaches to the strategic management of people both individually and in teams. An emphasis will therefore be placed on the achievement and development of an effective, efficient, and sustainable workforce capable of delivering high levels of organisational performance.
Strategic Marketing Management
The aim of this module is to give a general overview of some of the classic and enduring rules and strategic practices of marketing relevant for contemporary marketers, and then to equip you with a basic understanding of new tactics and approaches, such as digital marketing, and apply these models and tools to “real world” business cases.
This module focuses on Strategic Management from a Leadership perspective. This involves understanding strategy and the implementation of strategic decisions as well as organisational and individual implications. The reflective element of the module will help you to become more critical of your learning by understanding your abilities and limitations and the competencies you may want to develop to further your career.
The purpose of this module is to give an understanding of international business focusing on the many levels of relationships between the firm and its environment. This course will examine the interaction between firm-specific-advantages and country-specific-advantages as they evolve over time.
This module is concerned with economic and financial decisions taken under conditions of risk and uncertainty. This risk and uncertainty may be concerning cash flows, prices, quantity and quality of goods or services or the reaction of competitors. The source of the risk, uncertainty, and methods that business can employ to deal with these situations are explored fully in this module.
The module will focus on the marketing management of innovative new products within the context of small entrepreneurial firms and large established global companies. You will explore the challenges faced by marketers, entrepreneurs, and consultants in bringing innovative products and services to the market.
The purpose of this module is to equip participants with critical knowledge, theory and tools in support of leading and contributing to successful undertaking of an individual final Project. Apply all you have learned throughout the MBA alongside literature review and research to propose your solution to real-world problems, including those of your current organisations.
The key learning outcomes of the MBA course which flow down into all individual Module learning outcomes are:
- Demonstrate a systematic awareness, understanding and knowledge of contemporary management and leadership issues in both a local and global context. (Knowledge and Understanding)
- Demonstrate intellectual and entrepreneurial skills in the problem/practice-based application of management and leadership, together with a practical understanding of how established management and leadership techniques are applied in contemporary business applications. (Application)
- Demonstrate the ability to learn and to take responsibility for continuing career Contextualise, analyse and learn from experience or simulated environments taking both local and global perspective on contemporary developments and research in management and leadership. (Learning)
- Generate innovative and enterprising approaches and solutions to management and leadership challenges which inform decision making in effective business risk management. (Problem Solving)
- Devise and apply valid problem/practice-based evaluation and investigative techniques to interpret complex business challenges and propose solutions. Demonstrate understanding of selected investigative techniques within contemporary business paradigms. (Enquiry)
- Demonstrate a conceptual understanding and critical awareness of contemporary developments in management and leadership. Evaluate the rigour and validity of evaluation and relevance to contemporary issues in management and leadership. (Analysis)
- Articulate complex business information, situations and scenarios based on critical awareness and knowledge, adapting to different audiences, circumstances and feedback using a variety of communication tools and approaches. (Communication)
- Reflect on and demonstrate development of the underpinning management and leadership competencies to enhance employability and/or career advancement in positions of management and leadership. (Reflection)
Chief Academic Officer
An established academic leader, Chris carries out his responsibilities as Chief Academic Officer with knowledge gained from over 15 years of management within school and university environments. Having worked in over 50 countries, he has developed strong academic and business relationships and he has gained extensive insight into cultural sensitivity as well as best practice.
Chris made the move to Vietnam following a successful career heading the Executive MBA Programme at CASS Business School, one of the world’s top business schools. As he explains, “The 21st Century belongs to Asia and to have the opportunity to be involved in creating an international university and modern learning environment was an opportunity I could not turn down. I’m very proud of more than 2 years providing the MBA programme at BUV, and I’m very excited about the future for BUV, business, education and for Vietnam as a country.”
Dr. Joao Fialho
MBA Programme Leader
Joao Fialho is Programme Leader of the MBA and Graduate Programmes at BUV. He holds a PhD in Mathematics of the University of Évora, Portugal. He has diverse practical working experience and teaching experience, in the areas of actuarial sciences, pricing, finance and data analysis, accumulated at the service of several multinational companies. Currently he also is partner and Chief Scientific Officer in 1 company in the sector of data analytics. In the last 9 years he has accumulated experience in Higher Education, having already taught in North America, Europe, Middle East and Asia, accumulating positions of Department Director and research coordination.
Dr. Fialho is an active researcher in the field of differential equations, mathematical modelling, big data and data analytics, with proven experience by a wide range of international publications, books, and various communications at international conferences, in the area of mathematics and applications.
Dr. Mike Perkins
Academic Development and Quality Leader
Mike’s philosophy towards teaching and learning revolves around the practical application of theory to business problems. It is now essential that students not only understand business concepts, but that they are able to apply this knowledge in real-world situations. He is committed to ensuring that students develop a critical eye when it comes to assessing ideas, and do not simply take things at face value.
Mike carried out his university studies at The University of York, where he completed his undergraduate degree in Management and a PhD in Operations Management.
Mike is currently the Quality Leader at BUV and ensures that the quality standards relating to assessments, marking and moderation are met by all faculty at the University. He leads a broad variety of management courses including those from the University of London, Staffordshire University, and Foundation programmes.
Dr. Prabu Mohan
Prabu is a Senior lecturer in Mathematics and the Programme leader for University of London International programmes at BUV. Before joining BUV in 2012, he worked as a lecturer at Asia Pacific University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Prabu received his Ph.D in Applied Mathematics from University Polytechnic Cataluntya, Barcelona, Spain. He currently teaches Statistics and Mathematics courses on the Banking and Finance Programme of the University of London Programme, as well as Introduction to Accounting, Quantitative Analysis and Quantitative Methods for Business on the Staffordshire University degrees.
With more than 17 years teaching experience, Prabu works tirelessly to guide his students to a strong understanding of quantitative concepts and their practical use in the business world.
Dr. Shashi Chaudhary
Shashi has 7 years’ experience of teaching courses of Finance and Economics to Graduate and Undergraduate students in the top management institutes of Nepal.
He also has 5 years’ experience working closely with policy makers in the capacity of Deputy Director of the Central Bank of Nepal. He is very active in research activities and has credits for 9 research articles published in reputed journals.
“I always enjoy being with learners. For me, classroom is a workshop, where we interact, share and understand the things that help to transform knowledge into know-how.”
Joey Lai Chong Yee
Joey has been teaching at international universities and colleges for more than 15 years. She is very versatile, passionate and committed to producing quality education. Having completed her Master of Financial Economics in Finance and Economics at University Putra Malaysia, Joey has worked in Vietnam for 10 years. She currently teaches Financial Management, Corporate Finance, Financial Strategy and Valuation and Securities Analysis at BUV.
Her research interests include behavioural finance, capital structure and market efficiency.
Jonathan Alexander Neale
Jonathan has moved between academia and industry over the course of his career. He was formerly a consultant in turnaround management and successfully rebuilt a number of businesses in his native Canada after studying at leading business universities in the UK. He entered academia in the UK and has also taught in the UAE. He has research interests in international business, managerial economics, and corporate strategy.
The MBA offered by BUV is designed to develop you into business leaders of the future. Not only does it hone the critical skills you need, but it also gives your career plans the direction and momentum to get where you want to be. We help you succeed in your career by preparing you to enter blue-chip businesses at an advanced level or equipping them with the knowledge they need to start their own successful business.
Our MBA graduates are well prepared with the ability to solve complex business problems, adapt to changes and manage diverse workforces.
- Increase your edge: Our MBA provides you with the skills, real-life experience and industry acknowledged qualification you will need to stand out from the crowd in a competitive world.
- Networking: Our MBA allows you to build contacts outside your own alumni group, and benefit from the expertise of high-quality industry speakers, respected faculty and staff, and – most importantly – potential employers.
- Career-focused personal tutors: Helps you channel your new-found skills and experience, through one-to-one support, into a complete employability package, support you to develop an outstanding CV, extensive interview training and career planning skills.
- Corporate partnerships: Our national and regional renowned partners play a crucial role in framing our MBA strategy, ensuring a real-world focus to our activity, as well as establishing a formal link between our students and the leaders of industry.
- 360-degree perspective on business: Our MBA focus is on providing our students a 360-degree perspective on business and operations. The target for an MBA student is to achieve managerial positions, having core knowledge on Finance, Marketing and Risk will provide our students with sufficient knowledge to embrace the business in its full dimension.
- Holder of a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognised Higher Education Institution
For candidates who hold a Degree from UK institutions/ other international institutions/Vietnamese reputable institutions:
- First Class Degree or Second Class – First Division Degree:, no working experience required.
- Second Class – Second Division Degree: At least 2 years of full-time work experience after undergraduate degree.
- IELTS 6.5 (no sub-score less than 6.0) or equivalent English qualifications (For students who have achieved a 1st or 2.1 from a British degree this is not required.)
- Personal Statement
- Reference Letters from appropriate sources
- Admission interview
For more information, please contact your admission advisor.
Essay questions to be considered:
- How do you feel an MBA will help your career and why? How has your work experience shaped this belief?
- Discuss the greatest opportunities and threats that are affecting your business sector globally and specifically related to Vietnam.
- Please give an example of when you have demonstrated leadership skills and/or a significant contribution to a team. Specifically highlight what your role was in the situation.
- Looking at your particular skill set which areas do you feel need to be developed to support your career development?
- Describe one occurrence that has exemplified you as an individual.
HongKong Land Vietnam
The MBA programme at BUV has allowed me to discuss theory as well as business with students from over 20 countries, allowing me to broaden my intercultural awareness and mindset.
Clickable Impact Consulting Group
The MBA has not only given me knowledge of areas of management which I have not had direct experience of previously, it has given me the chance to develop the skills that I need to become a senior manager, the ability to ask the right questions, to lead diverse teams and understand the big picture, as well as allowing me to operate at the same level as those senior managers that I come into contact with.
The United Nations International School of Hanoi (UNIS)
The faculty at BUV as well as visiting professors have given me a global view of areas of business as well as how business happens in other cultures and environments. Their experience and examples have allowed me to compare and contrast what I am doing in my organisation and what I can do for my future. It has provided insight into how we can be more competitive and successful.
Grant Thornton Vietnam
I have enjoyed the opportunity to meet and interact with executives and leaders of International and Vietnamese companies, as well as political and diplomatic communities.
The pass rate for Master of Business Administration programme is 100%.
For the course starting on 1st January 2023 the tuition fees are:
|Tuition Fee||Other Fees*||Total Fee|
|400,200,000 VND||110,116,000 VND||510,316,000 VND|
Application fee: VND 2,000,000 (The application fee is required in order to process your application and it is non-refundable.)
*Other Fees include Educational Resource Fee and Student Affairs Fee, and excludes international study trips. Education Resource Fee includes library, textbooks, handouts, examination fees, academic’s equipment, online studying accounts. Student Affairs Fee includes alumni, student clubs, societies, careers, skills activities, bus service and local trips.
Scholarships and Financial Aids
These are the bursaries and scholarships applied to our MBA programme:
- Early Bird bursaries: 10-20% discount on tuition fee*
- Group discount: additional 5% tuition fee discount for groups of 2 students and above*
- 100,000,000 VND scholarship for alumni of British University Vietnam
- Vice Chancellor’s scholarship valued at 50% tuition fee for best student for each intake
* Number of sets is limited, please check with your Admission Advisor.
Bursaries and scholarships cannot be combined, except for Group discounts.
The British University Vietnam (BUV) scholarship fund was established in 2018 with the goal of giving students the opportunity to study UK undergraduate and graduate programs in an international standard educational environment in the country’s capital. With an aim to improve and increase accessibility to high-quality education, BUV has officially raised the fund’s value to 42 billion VND in 2023 with hundreds of scholarships and financial aid made available.
You can visit our Scholarship page to find out more and check your eligibility.